Saturday, February 15, 2014

Dare to Compare your Hair

One of the first questions I'm asked is "What's your hair texture?". In my almost two years of conversing throughout the Natural world, many of us want what we see on others. We want her curl pattern, her thickness, her sheen, and her length. And initially I was that person! It wasn't until I grew frustrated from trying to make my hair turn out like others that I realized that this is MY hair...this is what God gave me, so I'm going to make it 'do what it do'. It was in that moment that I began sampling different products until I found a few that worked for me. I also tried different styles until I found a few that I felt fit me...
And this is not to say that I think or speak negatively about other textures and styles, I just realized that I had to work with what I have. I love wash 'n go's on other women, but I look like the "young Michael Jackson" with one; so I know that at this point in my journey they're not good for me.
I think it's best for all naturals to make time in your schedule to try different products and styles until you find what works for YOUR hair. There are so many beautiful natural sistahs on YouTube that's helping us out tremendously! These women have so many different textures and are sharing hundreds, if not thousands of regimens, styles and techniques to assist us along the way.
Another reason to take time to learn your hair is because as your hair grows, your texture may have a tendency to change. Therefore, you will be learning throughout this journey as your hair takes on its on image throughout each growth curve.
So my advice to our Natural Community is to learn your hair...research products, get on YouTube and watch tutorials, then try different things on your hair. In order to learn anything you must study it, read up on its history, then dabble in it to get a feel of it for yourself. This journey requires patience...and lots of it.  In time you will have a healthy mane that you've nurtured into a beautiful head of hair.
To give you a few tips on starting your research on YouTube, go to the website and type the following subjects in the search box:

1. natural hair
2. natural styles
3. moisturizing products
4. natural hair maintenance
5. moisture sealants

These are just a few examples of things you can type in the search box to start you on your way.  Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with reviewing another Natural's regimen and/or the products she's using. I'm just advising you to try different things that may work for you, and not just because it works for someone else. Because everyone's hair is different.

As a newbie I subscribed to the Curlbox and CurlKit, and they helped me determined what worked for my hair and what didn't. Both are monthly subscriptions where you have $20 automatically taken from a checking account or credit card monthly and they're sending you a box with different products to try. Many times the boxes are mixed with full size AND sample size products.  But it's a perfect option for newbies that no nothing about natural hair products. They can be found at:
www.curlkit.com
www.curlbox.com

All in all, it's natural to admire beauty and desire beautiful things, but many times that that we're seeking lies within you. With time and patience you can bring out that that you're looking for.

Dare to compare your hair to another natural diva, when your beauty lies within you. :)

Until next time...

KinkyCurlyBeauty

No comments:

Post a Comment