Saturday, February 15, 2014

I Don't Want Natural Hair that I Can't Comb!!!

It didn't take long for me to see that MANIPULATION is a word in the Natural Community that's almost used in a negative connotation. Many Naturals do very little manipulating for fear of breakage, others don't recommend it because they believe it stunts growth, and many others don't know why they don't do it...they've just read so many blogs and viewed so many vlogs that they're just doing what they've heard.
As a licensed Cosmetologist of 21 years, I know that 'harshly' combing, pulling, bundling, and teasing can cause breakage of any texture of hair. But for some of us Naturals, to not want to use a comb at all AND encouraging others to not use a comb is disheartening to me.
I'm sure that finger-detangling is wonderful, I don't doubt that at all. But for women like myself who have full-time jobs, children, spouses or just busy lives as a whole, we don't have the time needed for finger-detangling.
What we (professionals) should be teaching is "proper manipulating".  There are ways to manipulate ANY texture of hair without experiencing massive breakage. And I say massive because any type of manipulation, whether it be finger-detangling or using a wide tooth comb, will cause some form of breakage because it's hair. Not to mention that we all shed hair on a daily basis.
And that's another thing! Going weeks without combing/manipulating your hair only makes your normal shedding look EXCESSIVE, when in reality it's just God's way of removing the older strands from your head. And when you're waiting an excessive about of time/days/weeks to remove those shedded strands, you create a possibility of also catching the new/stronger strands by having them intertwined in all of the older, normally shedded strands. (If that makes sense at all to you)

So please, do your research...learn proper ways to manipulate your beautiful hair and remove the FEAR that many of us have put in your heads about combing your hair!
Because I'm just going to tell you like this...I was a DIVA with a relaxer and I'll be darn if I'm not going to be a DIVA with my God-given texture!!!

Until next time...

KinkyCurlyBeauty

No comments:

Post a Comment